So, lately I have had the urge to share my views on Proposition 8 that is coming up on the November ballot. It is an issue that is very important to me and I really want to share how I feel with friends and family. I posted this both on Myspace and Facebook to let everyone know how I felt. I am PRAYING that nothing bad will come out of this and that people will respect me for standing up for what I believe in. I decided to share it here so that people who do not have facebook or myspace can have a looksey! Let me know what you think!
I have waited way too long to post this, and it's solely on the fact that I am scared out of my MIND of what people might say or think of me. I hope that stating my views and beliefs won't ruin any friendships or cause any type of animosity towards me. I can't see that happening, but one can only hope, right? I hope that if anything, you guys will respect me for standing up for what I believe in, since this is such a controversial topic. Anyways, I should stop the lolly-gagging, and get on with it.
In a few days, we will be voting in one of the craziest elections EVER. (okay, I don't really know that for a fact considering I've only been alive for a few, but it's definitely the craziest I've ever experienced.) While I'm still debating on who to vote for to be our new president, there is no doubt in my mind what stance I am taking on Prop 8. Now before I tell which way I'm voting (if you haven't guessed already) I am going to tell you my background (which will definitely give my stance away.) I was brought up in a very strong LDS (Mormon) family. Growing up, the only thing I was really taught about marriage was that you should have children under wed lock, and well, let's face it, the big thing with us Mormons is that you shouldn't even have premarital sex. Those were the issues of my day. Somewhere in between then and now, a different issue has arose. Now before I get into too much detail, let me make things clear. I do not have a problem with gay people. I have a lot of gay friends who I love dearly and care for deeply, I just don't agree with their lifestyle and some of their decisions.
Now here's where it gets tricky. When I first heard about this Proposition 8, I was confused. I had originally thought that it was stupid that we were taking away the right for a same sex couple to get married. I didn't think that it was our business what other people should do. To be honest, I did not like the idea of a same sex marriage, but I didn't think that it really affected me.
It wasn't until I really started talking about this issue with friends and family that I understood what Prop 8 is really about. First of all, a same sex couple have the same rights in a civil union as a heterosexual couple in marriage. Now there are two reasons why I am voting Yes on Prop 8. The first reason is because if Prop 8 fails, my church may be required to perform same sex marriages. If they don't they could lose their tax exemption. I personally do not think that it is fair for my church to be required to perform a marriage that they do not agree with. It is nothing against the people, just the task.
The second reason why I am going to be voting yes on Prop 8 is also the most important reason to me. If Prop 8 fails, my future children will be forced in school to learn that same sex marriage is the same as opposite sex marriage. I do not think it is fair that their school will be teaching my children something that is completely against my beliefs. I can't just send my child to school and say, "what they're teaching you is wrong, so don't listen to them" because it would only make them confused and not know what to believe. Now you could say, "Well, they are their own selves, let them decide what they want," but these children are being taught in KINDERGARTEN about same sex marriage. They are too young to decide for themselves. Anyways, my point is, I personally think that this is something that should be left to be taught at home, not in the classroom.
Now, let me explain why I was so afraid to post this. One of the many reasons I love this country is the fact that we are blessed with free speech. I'm sure that most, if not all of you would agree that this is a great right to have. No one wants this right to be taken away. Even if I totally disagree with someone about what they are saying, I'm going to respect them and respect their opinion. I will tell you Honestly that every time I see a sign that says "Vote No on 8," I get a little discouraged, but never in a million years would I go and steal that sign or in any ways destroy it. I don't see how it is right that a delivery driver was paid off to not deliver a bunch of Yes on Prop 8 signs to its destination. I don't see how it is right that over 200,000 Yes on Prop 8 signs have been stolen or destroyed. Taking or destroying our Yes on 8 signs is taking away our free speech....it's unconstitutional.....
So theres my little spiel. I want to note that I have made up my decision about this vote and I am sending in my mail in ballot tomorrow (after I figure out who i should vote for president.) Also, I did not write this to try and change anyone else's decision, I simply wrote it to try and inform the undecided voters out there as to why I am choosing to vote Yes. Now I am totally open to any comments and opinions, but if you are going to comment, please please please take into consideration how hard it was for me to post this. If you took the time to read it, please just let me know by telling me if you agree or disagree. I don't need a reason, I just want to know that my voice got heard. (Well not really my voice...unless you're imagining me reading it in your head.) So thanks so much for taking the time to read it and happy voting!
P.S. This is a video that explains Prop 8 in a pretty simple way if you're still confused.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI-GjWY-WlA
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I love you! GREAT POST!
Holly, this was a great post and I agree with what you have said. It does take courage to stand up for what is in your heart. The most important things to do in life are not easy. We love you and miss you!!!
Holly, thanks for posting your feelings. It does take courage. I agree with you completely. Mikila is right when she says you are a beautiful, happy, enthusiastic, intelligent young woman. I do love and respect you. I wish you well in all you do.
Holly,
Sorry for blogstalking, but Mikila referred me over to this as suggested reading and it was well worth the time. I have always been impressed with your family, but never more so than the past few months watching you and your sister respond to Prop 8. The thing I love most about this post is it was clearly thought out and not just copied and pasted over from some propaganda website.
I find it interesting how people who believe in a traditional definition of marriage have been forced to be ashamed of their positions. I hope that I would have the same courage of you and your sister if I was in California!
Hey, Holly - you're right, posting what you feel is really hard. It's great that your family supports you in your decision! Some families aren't as supportive, so you're lucky there.
I'm proud of you for standing up for what you believe in. The world needs more Hollys ;)
Post a Comment